What’s worse than being injured in an accident? How about your passenger being seriously injured or even suing you for personal injuries? Whether you’re the sole cause of the accident or it was the fault of two drivers, you can be held liable for his medical bills and emotional stress. So, what should you do in the case of an injured passenger? Start by following these simple steps.

Stop the Vehicle

You’ll want to pull off as close to the accident as you can safely get without blocking traffic. Assess your situation, but don’t panic. Watch for dangers in oncoming traffic or potential hazards. Take stock of your injuries and those of your passenger to see how serious they are.

Provide Assistance If Possible

Do your best to help your passenger and other motorists who may have been hurt. Try not to move an injured party unless there’s an immediate threat. Instead, wait for the ambulance to arrive. Call 911 for medical assistance and make sure you report the injuries that you can see for anyone involved. You’re also required by law to report any accident that results in property damage, injury, or death to the police immediately. If you’re injured yourself, call for help, but don’t move.

Exchange Information

Next, you should provide your information to any involved parties. They’ll need your name, address, contact details, license plate number, driver’s license number, and auto insurance information. Make sure you collect the same from any other motorists involved. You’ll also want to collect witness information in case you need them to testify in court at a later date.

Get a Copy of the Police Report

The officer who arrives at the scene will complete an accident report. You should be able to get a copy of this report a week after the accident from the local police station. You may need to present it to your lawyer if you’re sued for damages so they can investigate the situation further.

Call a Lawyer

To protect your rights, you may want to speak with a lawyer even before you know if there will be a court case. Monarch Law can help you determine what your next steps are and help you fight against malicious claims. Call us at 860-828-2166 for a free 30-minute consultation.